Are We The Department of Veteran Affairs?

We Work For The Veteran And Their Family . . . Not The VA.

The El Paso County Veteran’s Services Office was established by State law to advise and assist veterans, their dependents, and their survivors concerning any VA benefits which such person may be, or may have been, entitled to receive under the laws of the United States or the State of Colorado. The office is not a part of the Department of Veteran Affairs, which is a Federal government agency, but serves as a liaison between the claimant and the VA.

What Am I Eligible For?

Every veteran’s situation and service is unique which is why we strongly encourage the veteran and/or dependent to contact our office so we can answer your eligibility questions based on your military service and situation.

How Can I Obtain A Copy Of My Discharge Papers?

Copies of Discharge Documents, Service Medical Records, Official Military Personnel File, and replacement medals can be requested through the National Archives either on your own or contact our office and we will assist you with your request.

Does The State of Colorado Offer Benefits?

Yes, the State of Colorado offers a few benefits for service-connected veterans.

Special Vehicle License Plates: There are currently 38 different types of military license plates available through the Division of Motor Vehicles.

Small Game Hunting and Fishing License: Free lifetime combination small-game hunting and fishing license for veterans with a service-connected disability of 60% or more.

Property Tax Exemption: 100% Permanent and Total veterans may qualify for Property Tax Exemption.

For more information on state benefits, contact the Colorado Division of Veteran Affairs.

How Do I Update My Address and Telephone Number?

You can update an address or telephone number with the VA in several ways:

  • Call the VA at 1-800-827-1000, or
  • Update the information on line through the VA’s website by logging in, or
  • Our office can assist you in submitting the information in writing

How Can I Change My VA Direct Deposit?

To change your direct deposit information with the VA, you can

  • Call the VA’s direct deposit number at 1-827-1000, or
  • Submit through the VA’s website by logging in, or
  • Our office can help you obtain the form required to cancel or change a direct deposit